Saturday 5 October 2013

So I had a bit of a do....

last night. I turned 40 just under a week ago and thought I'd best mark the occasion with some form of shindig.

So I did. Theme - Glitter.

I firmly believe there is not enough glitter in this world. It sparkles. It shines. It almost screams joy. So why shouldn't we, as adults, be allowed to gratuitously splash around the sparkle? Well, we can. Just do it. So I did.

After a slower than anticipated start to the preparations courtesy of he with whom I hope karma catches up incredibly soon, the children departed for the weekend at around half 10. And then it was on like Donkey Kong.

For the last month or so I have been adding things to a massive box. I didn't know what was in there, I just knew there was a lot of sparkly stuff. So I opened it. And I looked. And what a sight to see. Sooooo much sparkle. And it was mine. ALL MINE!!!! *insert evil muahahahahaha laugh here and then get a grip and get back to reality*

The first thing I saw was sparkle card. Yes. You heard correctly. Card that is covered in sparkles. Glitter paper. Seriously rocks. So I decided to make some decorations to stick around the room to supplement the disco balls (yes, plural), tinsel (okay so I made the most of the fact that Spotlight already has Christmas decorations in store) and other random sparkly things.

I got my scissors and my black texta and proceeded to draw a 4 on the back of the card. But I had to try to draw it backwards because I would be cutting it out and the other side was the visible side. So then I had mental discussions with myself as to how to do it, which resulted in my literally have to write the number 4 because I had thought about it so much I forgot what a 4 looked like. Then I thought I may have been overthinking things a tad. I was even turning the card around, "turning map" style, as if that would make a difference. Square. Paper. With glitter on. Turning it for better perspective. Yes, I really AM that special.

So I decided I'd just wing it. No drawing of lines, no draft, I just got out the scissors and cut. And a 4 was made. Sensational.

Then the 0. A bit easier, although I had to keep evening it off because it was asymmetrical and consequently it ended up a little smaller in scale than the 4. And yes that bothered me a tad. I don't like things being just a little bit off. I made Miss 4 a glitter t-shirt as you recall and the off-centredness of the heart is still annoying me. So much so that I intend to go to Target, buy another t-shirt and make a rip-off copy of my original t-shirt, but make sure it is centred. That's totally normal. And not at all pedantic. Much.

So there were a few sheets of card left and I opted to cut out little stars. I did the same 'wing it' effort with a star. It ended up looking like a speech bubble drawn on a comic by the work experience kid. Not great. So I drew the stars on the back of the card and cut them out. I didn't follow the lines precisely, because the stars were pretty badly drawn in the first place and, well, I don't know why I didn't, I just didn't.

But I ended up with quite a few stars, and some diamonds, and other bits and bobs, and by the time I had finished cutting up all these shapes it looked like I'd murdered a fairy in the kitchen. Glitter. Everywhere. That's the way......

Balloons were to be picked up. So off I went to what has become my favourite store; Spotlight. I love it. Love it love it love it. Could stay there for hours on end. (Yes, I know I've said it before. I can't help it. I get excited about stuff. Sue me.) It has everything, not just glitter and balloons. I could do my entire Christmas decoration shop there. I also headed to the dance fabric section and bought 2m of sequin fabric. Instant tablecloth. And when I'm done I'll make the girls some sparkly clothes from it. And every time they wear their little whatever it is I make for them I will remember my party. Fabulous.

So I go to the counter and ask about my order.

"What order?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"We don't have an order."

Insert. Anxiety. Attack. Here.

"But, but, but, she wrote my name in the book!"

And sure enough, when they looked, there it was, my name. And my number. And none of the details of the balloons.....

They couldn't understand it. I think I understood it less. And as the old duck behind the counter placated me with "it's okay love we can get it sorted" my breathing began to return to some semblance of normality. And within 10 minutes I was out the door with some lovely sparkly helium balloons (and no we did not suck the helium out of said balloons at the end of the night, but we did discuss what happens when you do and recalled previous experiences with it.... that's the thing, I'm a grown up now......).

Then I grabbed some ice and headed home. I filled the tub with ice, as I put the drinks in earlier. And then I heard it. The sound of water slowly trickling down the drain. Oh. God. I forgot to put the plug in.

Do you know how difficult it is to move ice, in a bathtub, which is full of soft drinks, beer, champagne and wine, so as to be effective in clearing the drain in order to place the plug in? I'll save you the hassle of performing a re-enactment, because I know you want to. It's hard. Really hard. Incredibly hard. And hellishly cold.

Hellishly cold. Oxymoron. Fabulous. Love a bit of an oxymoron.

I did it though. I'm tenacious.

And people arrived. And we had a fabulous night. A truly happy, sparkly, fun and fabulous night.

The food was amazing, if I do say so myself. I put a lamb roast on at 8 in the morning and at 7.30pm took it out, and it was succulent and juicy and literally just fell off the bone. From 5.2kg of lamb, all that remained was a small take away container of leftovers.

And my folks brought sweets and a fabulous cake, and a friend brought stunning cheeses (and I have just polished off a wedge of said cheese whilst sitting here), and another friend arrived early to help me get organised with the last minute things.

And there was champagne. And wine. And laughing. And speeches.... yes. Which I was not expecting. And I had to give one so it seemed. I think it went ok....

And we drank and laughed on into the night, people came and people went, and the evening wrapped up just before 3am. But technically just before 2am. Then it instantly became 3am. Daylight savings.

What if you were in labour and your baby was born at 3.01am, daylight savings time? Does that technically add an extra hour to your labour? Hmmm. Interesting question.

Anyway, I haven't cleaned up yet. Because I am still mentally celebrating. I have gone back in my head over everything that has happened in the last 40 years. Some good. Some bad. Some abhorrent. Some simply brilliant.

Suffice to say I have done a lot. And right here, right now, well, I have literally never been happier.

From here we move onwards and upwards, and it can only get better.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment