Sunday 13 October 2013

I love it when they help.

No. Really. I do.

And that was only half sarcasm.

When they all get their own bowls and spoons or put things away or make their beds or anything like that, I just love it.

Except perhaps Master 3. He tried to help make his bed today. Picture a 3 year old atop a bed that has 3 corners of a fitted sheet firmly in place, he grasping the 4th corner repeating "It's not big enough" while trying to pull it towards the empty corner, his body weight removing any possibility of actually moving the sheet itself. And then he turns, which loosens the sheet, which then gives him hope, so he kneels on the sheet and starts pulling at the corner again. See a pattern forming?

So five minutes later I asked him, again, if he would let me help and he said "yeah....." with a big sigh. Poor lil man. Must have been a bit frustrating.

So he decided he'd tackle putting the pillow case on the pillow.

"It's not working"

"Would you like me to help?"

"Yeah....." *sigh* *stands up and runs out of room with a scream.

The bath was a bit of an event tonight. To say the least.

I started running the bath while buzzing around doing other things, and shut the door so Master 3 didn't inadvertently plonk in. And, well, time got away from me a little so by the time I got back the bath was big. Massive actually. Well, that's the kids' description of it. It was deep. Bit of a novelty. And it was hair washing night (it is an event in itself.....the girls' hair is long....).

So in hopped lil man, I quickly washed his hair and all was good.

Then Miss 5 hopped in too and I washed her hair. No incident.

Miss 4 was nowhere to be found. So I called out to her. Several times. And then went searching. I found her curled up, naked, on her brother's bed.

"Come on, bath time."

"I don't want to."

"The quicker you come with me the quicker it'll be done."

"But I don't want to."

"I don't want to have to count......" *long pause, followed by a sigh (by me)* "1....."

"Don't count at me!!!!!"

"THEN GET IN THE BATH!"

Oh yes. This gives me a GREAT feeling about washing her hair.

I finally managed to get her into the bath and decided to just go hell for leather and get the washing done asap.

It was a good three seconds before the squealing started.

"He splashed me and made me eat soap!!!"

"Well spit it out."

"I can't, it's gone."

"Just lean your head back and it'll be finished soon."

I swear that was quickest I have ever washed her hair, but it felt as though it was an hour. Minimum. Because the entire time she narrated with a series of low-grade squeals and squawks and general unimpressed grunting babble, until such time as the hair was completely washed, after which time she ramped it up because she had obviously remembered the unfortunate soap swallowing episode of minutes earlier.

Ah the joys.

I'll interject here. Even though it is I talking so I guess I really didn't have to interrupt myself. No matter, will know for next time. They call it terrible 2s. When you have a 2 year old and that 2 year old behaviour yada yada yada.

Well. I have, at different points in time, had three 2 year olds.

2 is easy.

3 is challenging. More so if the 3 year old is a boy I think. In my humble opinion. Non-sexist, based upon experience alone.

4 is holy crap. Because seriously. Att. It. Ude. Majorly.

Everything is a drama. Everything.

Eating breakfast and a small drop of milk lands on the table. And they say you shouldn't cry over spilled milk. Tell that to a 4 year old.

This morning Miss 4 spent an hour wearing only knickers because she decided that she wanted to wear the top that Miss 5 was wearing. And figured that by remaining half naked there was still a chance that could be her top for the day. Ba bow. Not so mini chick. Get dressed.

Anyway, I finally got all three kids out of the bath this evening, and eventually managed to get them dressed. Well, Miss 5 got herself dressed. And I actually said to Miss 4 at that time I was incredibly proud of her because at one stage Miss 5 placed her nudie bum in such a smackable position near Miss 4, and I saw Miss 4 look at Miss 5's bottom and could literally SEE her contemplate giving that bottom a smack, but she resisted. Well done mini chick. Small battles, small battles......

Time for a book. Cue tantrum from Miss 5 because Master 3 was on one side of me and Miss 4 was on the other and there was nowhere for her to sit and she couldn't see the pictures. Gutteral cries. As if she were grieving. Good lord child, it is a book.

So I explain to her that now she knows how the others feel because when she and I are doing her reading, it is she who is always beside me, and remains there when we then read a book for everyone, so now she is able to understand how they must feel.

She looks at me with the "are you serious" eyes. Another gutteral moan. I start reading. "Noooooooo!!! I can't SEEEEEEEE!"

"Then sit up here and you'll be able to . I'll make sure I show you the pictures."

Her out clause. Up she comes.

And so we read the story of Rapunzel, a family fave, in "Tangled" form. They adore the movie, as do I, and take great joy in reminding me when we get to the lantern pages that that is my favourite part of the movie and my favourite song.

Book ends. Teeth, toilet, bed.

Miss 5 falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow.

Miss 4 needs a few goes at it, and I ask to not be naughty tomorrow, to which she agrees. We'll see.

Master 3. Yes. Master 3. World's worst child at bedtime.

"Muuuuuuuum. I want to tell you something."

And I go to his room. He talks in slow motion. Again. Seriously.

GO TO SLEEP!!!

So some time later, the final call comes.

"Muuuuuuum, I need you to put my blanket on my pillow."

I have a child who doesn't like to sleep on a pillow. He likes the pillow to sleep on him. On his back while he sleeps face down. And apparently the best way to have this happen is to then put the doona on top of the pillow which is atop his back.

So that I did.

And that was that.

And today was a very long day. And you barely heard any of it. Just imagine that......

No comments:

Post a Comment