Monday 21 October 2013

But it's MY day!

Ah yes.

It all started so simply. There were arguments, often, about at which seat various mini folks would sit. About who would check the mail. About who would turn the lights on. About who would go first. At anything.

And so we implemented the "day". Every weekday was assigned to a child. On that day said child was the one who would check the mail and choose where they sat at the dinner table.

Fabulous. In theory.

Until that extended to include getting out of the car first.

Turning on the lights. All of them.

Turning on the tv.

Getting a spoon.

Breathing.

"Muuuuuuuum!!! She turned on the light first but it's MY day!!!!!!!!!"

And so now I am in the process of "un-daying" the majority of the activities to go back to the way in which I initially intended the "day" process to work. And I do believe it is harder than mediating the fights that occurred prior to the introduction of the "day" program.

Lesson learned. A little too late. But learned.

When I ask one child to do something, 9 times out 10 a different child will rush to perform said task before the child I asked gets a chance to. As you can imagine this has a wonderful effect. And so, when the tears begin after Master 3 has turned the tv off when I had in fact asked Miss 4, I simply tell her to turn it back on and then she can turn it back off. Problem solved.

I asked Miss 4 to get something from under the sofa which I had spied out of the corner of my eye.

Master 3 ran, grabbed it, and gave it to me.

Miss 4 had a complete and utter meltdown.

I placed the item back under the sofa.

Miss 4 retrieved the item, gave it to me and smiled.

Seriously. Tis beyond my comprehension but if that is what it takes to quell the noise then bugger it, I'm doing it.

It is truly hilarious, in a not funny ha ha but holy crap I was one of those once way, to watch adults who have no children mentally judge those who do. At the shops or down the street or wherever. Child goes of its head. Mother acts in certain way. Onlookers tsk and silently berate said mother.

Same scenario, person watching is a parent. None of the tsking and silent beration. More likely the parent feels pity for the mother who is currently getting mentally and physically belted by her child and the onlookers, and sometimes it actually brings a bit of emotion to the fore as they remember the day that they were in that very position.

And then so much becomes clear.

And you remember the judging that you may have done way back when.

And hope that the present day judgers one day have kids who behave 10 times worse.....just so they can see......

Or is that just me?




No comments:

Post a Comment