Friday 3 January 2014

At 1.10pm this afternoon

I went to check on my darling old dog for the billionth time in the last four or five days.

And something happened.

He ran up to me. He nuzzled into my leg. He sneezed, which is what he does sometimes when he first gets himself all excited about having a cuddle with mum.

For the first time in weeks I saw my old boy.

If I didn't believe in miracles before, I do now. New Year's Eve was spent lying beside my darling baby on the concrete verandah out the back, stroking his head and back and telling him how much I loved him, tears streaming down my face the entire time.

The next few days were spent constantly checking him, tending to him as needed, applying powders and sprays and hoping he would eat, all the while telling him just how much he meant to me and how much I loved him.

Maybe it was love that brought him back. I wouldn't doubt it for a second if you said it was. Because the amount of love I feel for that hairy little man, if quantified electrically, could power the entire globe. He is part of our little family, and will be forever.

And so today I cried tears of sheer joy and happiness. Though the kids can't quite understand what has gone on, they understand a little. They understand love extends to animals. They understand that impending loss creates sadness in those who may experience that loss. I wouldn't expect them to understand a great deal more, nor do I want them to just yet. There is time for that in the future.

For now, we have the now. This afternoon they all played in the back yard. And they were able to give my lil man cuddles and pats, and laugh as he licked their hands playfully.

The status quo has been restored. For now. But I feel like I have been given a second chance to spend more time with my boy.

And I will gladly take that. As will he.

And to restore the status quo once again, I would like to offer a community service announcement. Do not allow a child to hold a container of sherbet if you have recently vacuumed.

Tis good to be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment