Thursday 9 January 2014

They say girls can talk.

They haven't met my son.

From the moment he wakes there is noise. Constant. And if it isn't "toot toot" or "beep beep" or "brooooooooom" it's conversations. Lots. And lots. Of conversations.

"Muuuuuuuum. The postman's coming today!"

"Yes, yes he is."

"Why?"

Seriously.

"Mummy why is the postman not here?"

"Because it is 7 o'clock in the morning and he doesn't come until later."

"Oh. But I'm looking out the window and I can't see him."

"That's because he hasn't come yet and won't be coming till later."

"Oh. He's still not here."

"No, no he's not. And he won't be for a little while. Like I told you. Please close the curtains."

"I caaaaaaaan't!! I TOLD YOU! I am WAITING. For the postman. He isn't here yet."

Sigh.

And so it goes on. And on. And on. Incessantly. About anything. And everything.

"Mum, did you find my train?"

"I didn't know you had lost your train."

"Yeah, the noisy one."

"I'll have a look for it once I finish the dishes."

"Ok."

Pause. For about 3.5 nanoseconds.

"Did you find it yet?"

"I haven't started looking, I'm doing the dishes."

"Oh. Ok."

4 seconds.

"Did you find it yet?"

"No."

"How come? Did you look?"

"No, I'm doing the dishes, my hands are in the sink and they are wet. I told you I would look after I finished the dishes."

"Oh. BEEP BEEP EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" *runs to next room with arms outspread*

And people wonder why I don't watch tv. Or have the radio on in the car when I'm alone.

Life with my little folk is a veritable marathon. And without the downtime to let the body recover, it just wouldn't. That is my ears. They just can't cope with it sometimes.

Speaking of ears, Master 3 has medicine he has to take for his bazillionth ear infection. And ear drops too. He does not like the medicine. He tells me this every time he has it. And he does that little involuntary shudder and face screw up after he has it too. Which makes me laugh every time. Miss 4 did the same with her last lot of medicine. It is seriously hilarious to watch. He doesn't love the ear drops either actually. He screams. Loudly. But only for the time it takes to put the three drops in. Afterwards he's good as gold.

I tried to explain to him that the drops worked by helping to patch his burst eardrum up just like I will patch up his best jeans that he managed to put a hole in the knee of.

I've enjoyed spending some time one on one with Miss 5. Today we cooked. I made up massive batches of bolognaise sauce and pumpkin soup, predominantly because I have a neighbour who is ill at the moment and I was taking some over for her to pop in the freezer so she didn't have to cook every night if she didn't feel up to it. But also because I usually do cook ups for our own freezer on a fairly regular basis. Bolognaise and pumpkin soup are stock standard favourites. Every now and then I'll do sausage rolls. Or other sorts of soup. Or stews.

I have a bit of a cheat with regards to food. I'll let you in on it. I probably have already, but, well, sue me.

I make a lot of soups actually. And freeze them in those little takeout containers. Not the standard size, but the bigger ones. And I make a lot of stews and bolognaise.

And when I thaw them out I will mix and match. So my bolognaise (which already contains a huge amount of grated cauliflower, carrot and finely chopped cabbage and onion) is mixed with one of my home made vegetable soups. So the kids think they are eating a meat and pasta dish, when in reality it has more vegetables than a meat and three veg dinner. Hehe. Crafty.

That said I'm pretty lucky with the kids. They are great eaters. Crap sleepers. But great eaters.

I guess you have to have one or other. Those people who have both are going to go through hell when they are teenagers. It is parent karma. Or something.

Miss 5 vacuumed today. As well as helping with the cooking. And I didn't even ask her to. She asked me if she could. I said yes.

And do you know what? She did a top job. Yes there were a few bits and pieces she missed but do you know what? I don't care. I let them be. Because if I had have jumped in and "finished" it then she may have thought she didn't do a great job. Just like when they make their own beds I have to resist the urge to fix them up to be neat and tidy. It is hideously difficult. But I do it. Because if they think they haven't done it right then they are far less likely to do it again.

Mind games. No parent should operate without them.

Good ones though. Obviously.

Tomorrow evening I am going to a concert. Tis my first concert in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I have been to heaps of classical concerts, and musicals and other shows and orchestral and operatic and ballet performances. But modern 'pop' kinda music. Um. No.

The first concert I went to was Daryl Braithwaite. He was great. It was a very very long time ago.

The second concert I went to hasn't happened yet. It's tomorrow. So yes, um, not quite my thing.

So I have the day to myself tomorrow and I anticipate there will be a decluttering frenzy taking place. I resolve to rid the house of at least 4 bags. Books, toys, clothes, you name it.

I'll do it. Mark my words. For sanity's sake. I don't like clutter. I like it even less when it is strewn around the house willy nilly by three small humans whose arms at times are apparently painted on.

So yes. What does one wear to a concert anyway?

Better google…….

No comments:

Post a Comment