Monday 6 January 2014

One on one time

is rare. For me anyway. In partnered relationships there is a bit more scope for one on one time with each child to occur, because there is always someone who is able to take the others. Not always willing. But technically able.

Anyway, without entering into any form of debate about the matter, because that is not the intent here, I will simply state that for me, as a part-time working single parent to three children, it is almost impossible to have one on one time with the kids unless they are ill and missing school or daycare, and thus I am missing work. And they are ill. So not exactly "quality" time so to speak.

So. Today was a rarity. Miss 5 spent the day with me. Just me and her. Because the other two went back to daycare. Why? Because they have had the last 2 weeks off and I only get 2 weeks a year at discount rate (which is still only a 25% discount). So I'm paying for it, they're going. Simple.

Today we got heaps done. First stop was obviously daycare. Dropped small ones off then we were on our way. Where? To get a coffee and a babycino of course.

We duly did that. Miss 5 beamed throughout the entire experience because I also let her choose anything she wanted from the food case. She chose a berry, pear and cheese cake. And did she enjoy it…. every mouthful created a smile wider than the horizon. And I just sat there and watched her, I myself smiling every bit as wide as my darling daughter.

After that it was time to hit DFO. Miss 5 needed some runners and I needed some summer clothes. I worked this out when it was 30 odd degrees the other day and the closest I had to summer clothes was a pair of leggings. Not quite suitable.

So today I bought a dress. A summer dress. I don't buy dresses. But this dress, well, as soon as I put it on I just knew it was right. I tried on a few others and there were little questions in my mind. And I tried on the dress dress again and just had to get it. I also bought a skirt which will be incredibly useful (just a long flowy thing but really my style). Miss 5 dutifully stayed with me in the teeny tiny change room as I tried these things on.

Right before this we had found a children's shoe store so we tried on numerous pairs of runners for Miss 5. Some were too tight. Some were "not very good". Others were "nice but no". And then out came the silver sparkly ones. She tried them on. She smiled. They were "good, but too tight because I can't get them off". I suggested she undo them first. Ah yes, success. And so shoes were purchased.

Next stop Westfield. Why? Um, I truly can't remember. Oh yes, that's it. Birthday presents and anniversary presents and a calendar and a few other bits and pieces.

We had some success. Birthday present - check. Calendar - check. And a really nice one too - pictures of France, and not just one big picture at the top, but lots of little pictures for each day. Lovely. So nice to see such an aesthetically pleasing calendar. Even more so being that it was 40% off. Nice.

And so we left, and went home. Mail collected, sandwich made. And a nagging feeling in my stomach that we had to go to a different store. I have no idea why. But I couldn't shake it. Miss 5 didn't want to go. She was quite happy staying home. I asked her four times. Not all at once obviously. At intervals.

Same answer. Always.

"No."

Hmm.

"What say I get you one of those nice drinks if we go?"

"Yay let's go!!!!!"

I bribed. Sue me. It worked. I got to go to the shop.

And now I know why. Because the perfect anniversary present was there for my folks. And that is why you should always listen to your gut. Because you have no idea what it may be telling you at the time; it may only become apparent later. And if you never listen and never give it a chance to reveal its secret, you will just never know. And if you do, well, what fun you will have.

Then home to sort some washing, potter around with some household tasks, then bolt back to get the other 2.

Usual events for the evening; dinner, bit of tv, bit of a play with Thomas and the other engines. And for the record, Miss 4 now knows that the battery operated Thomas engines that are able to pull along the other engines should not be placed close to one's head if one has long hair. And yes, we did have to use scissors.

Bedtime ballet once again this evening.

Fabulous. I have not got the best sleepers.

But at least they eat well.

Small mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment