Saturday 11 January 2014

I sat at the computer for "just a minute"

I did not intend to stay there for long, nor did I actually do what I had set out to do.

My intent, after the kids were picked up yesterday, was to get some shopping done, which I did, then come home and clean the house to within an inch of its life.

I did the shopping. Tick.

I got home. Tick.

I did not clean the house. Babow.

I sat down at the computer, as mentioned, for "just a minute". And I thought I would draw up a little calendar of events for the coming months, just so I could see, at a glance, what our plans were. I figured the easiest way to do this would be in excel, on a simple spreadsheet.

So down I sat, and started typing in the dates. And the months. And the days of the week.

And then I thought I may as well do that for the whole year, as it was just as easy, and cut and paste makes such jobs pretty quick.

Then I had a stroke of genius. If I put in my pay dates, for work and centrelink, I would always know what was coming in.

Cool.

Then I thought I should probably put in the childcare costs coming out, because, well, we need to be prepared for these things.

Long story short, four hours later I had constructed an enormously detailed budget for the entire year.

Accidentally.

Holy. Crap.

Now every time I have attempted to purposely do a budget in the past resulted in my throwing my hands up in the air in frustration and going off to make a coffee.

The "accidental budget" as it shall now be called, is fabulous. I am completely rapt.

Anyway, by doing the accidental budget up I lost four hours of the day that were to be spent doing other things, and once I had finished I realised I still had not run a few important errands, so buzzed off to do those, in time to come home and quickly get ready for my outing to see London Grammar.

A. Mazing. They were brilliant.

I went with a gorgeous friend and we went out for dinner first. It was a hot evening. Very hot. In hindsight we probably should have chosen a restaurant that was air conditioned.

Now I'll present you with a theory. Dips and bread. Nice? Yes. Nice. Cauliflower puree. Lovely. Sweet potato dip. Interesting, but very nice indeed. Chopped tomato in a balsamic sort of sauce. Um, that is not a dip.

And another thing. If we finish the bread and there is still a substantial amount of dip left you should be aware of two things, as a restaurant owner. Actually make that three.

1. Your dip to bread ratio is incorrect. Fix it.

2. Your customers will ask for more bread. If this occurs, do not balk and say "I don't think we can" because your customers will then say "It's bread. Surely you can manage. And yes, I'm serious."

3. Attempting to take said dip away with a smile, twice, will not be met with the same glee as your waiters are currently displaying at the joy of said dips being unfinished. Incomprehensible.

Seriously. If you are providing dips and bread, MAKE SURE THERE IS ENOUGH BREAD! Sorry to yell but I would have thought that was fairly obvious.

The food was great all up. There was just a tad lacking in the mathematical side of things.

And isn't that always the way.

So the concert tickets said it started at 8. At 7.50pm we lined up out the front. At around 8.05pm they opened the doors and up we went. I remarked how few people there were, but apparently the concert was sold out. Interesting.

And then on came a band of what appeared to be 12 year olds. This was further reinforced by the singer completing every song in a falsetto voice. Don't get me wrong, it was a very controlled falsetto. But every song sounded the same.

And word of wisdom little boy - if you are performing at a gig in front of heaps of people (which after some time there were), telling them that the last gig at which you played was in front of 3 people and your dad is probably not the best idea.

And off they went. It was after 10 before London Grammar came on. Is that normal?? Apparently so.

They were brilliant. Even better live than they are on my computer (yes, I know they aren't actually "on" my computer, but I wasn't quite sure how else to say it).

So it was an experience. My first rock/pop/whatever you call it concert since 1991 and Daryl Braithwaite.

I don't think I will be doing it again. My hips ached from standing for so long. And it was really really hot.

And another thing. I had on a sleeveless top because it was so hot. I am not a tanned person. Oh no, not at all. I am in fact vitamin D deficient, predominately I would assume because I simply do not go out in the sun.

And I have said on many occasions that I glow in the dark I'm that pale. Guess what? I did. Last night. My arms literally glowed from the ultraviolet lights. I was like a beacon on the dance floor. Astounding.

So we had some drinks there and before and after and then my friend's dear husband picked us up to take us home. And I didn't stop talking all the way home. And it was remarked that my little man may have some genetic link in that regard. Cool.

It was fun. It really was.

And today I slept in, got up, went to Carlton for lunch, lunch was lovely, then came home, pottered, cleaned a bit, and my babies came home.

I miss them so terribly when they aren't here, but do appreciate my time away from them.

Bedtime is still crap though.

Tonight's drama - Miss 5. As her school is not running her school holiday program due to lack of numbers, she will be coming to work with me. And I told her she could bring one soft toy with her.

Tonight she lay in bed and began to sob. And the sobs turned into bigger sobs. And then the waterworks followed. So in I went and asked her what was wrong, stroking her forehead then picking her up to give her a cuddle.

"I just can't decide. I don't know what to do. I just don't know which soft toy to take with me to your work because I just love them all so much."

And welcome to my world.

My little drama queen. Creates her very own drama from, well, from nothing. Although I daresay it isn't nothing to her, and that is what I need to remember. In her little world it IS important. So much as it sounds ridiculous to me (and really, it did, and it was after a lot of fartarsing around to get into bed in the first place so I was not exactly 'sympathetic' instinctively) it is important to her.

So we worked out that she could take a different toy each day.

Problem solved.

Go to sleep. And some time later, they did. All of them. One by one. And the house is now silent.

Though I did come back into the kitchen to see a moth flying directly at my head and was terrified I would scream out loud and wake them all up. I didn't. I flinched, then reached for the flyspray and drowned the moth.

And proceeded to self-medicate with a glass of red. Terrifying. Absolutely terrifying.

*shudder*

And tomorrow is another day. What shall we do….. (with a drunken sailor just popped into my head).

What would you do with a drunken sailor early in the morning?

Give him a coffee. That's the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment