Tuesday 7 January 2014

A day in the city.

That is what my beautiful girls and I had today.

Some time ago I entered a competition to win tickets to see a Disney Nature movie called "Chimpanzee" through the Zoos Victoria Facebook site.

I didn't win.

I did however receive a message some weeks after the draw to say that they did have some spare tickets to which I was welcome and I only needed to email them.

Well I was on it like flies on, um, my food at a bbq. LOL.

And I received the email confirming. The session was to be today, January 7, at 10.30am at ACMI.

Fabulous. I was massively excited. Family pass. 4 tickets. Me and the three. Woohoo!!

So I set up the computer and brought the kids over to watch the trailer, explaining to them that I had won tickets. The girls were enthralled. After 13 seconds Master 3 didn't like it and walked off.

The film was 78 minutes.

He lasted 13 seconds.

I figured it was safer to leave him out of the equation. He went to daycare today.

So it was a chick day. Chicks in the city. Fabulous.

So we finally got out the door (don't make me relive it) and Master 3 hit daycare.

Mini chicks and I hit the road to go to town. Now being that it was peak hour I figured we would need ample time to get there. Apparently not. Record time.

So we had time to kill. Okay then. Babycino time. We made the chilly trek to Maccas and I got the kidlets a babycino and a massive muffin to share, and I got coffee. Joy. Needed that.

I'll try to be brief. I could seriously write an entire book about today. I won't.

The movie. It was gorgeous. Possibly a tad long for the age group I brought with me, but great. I had a few teary moments too (I am soft, sue me).

And seated down the end of the row was Alan Brough. Some of you might not know who that is. If you watch Spicks and Specks you will have erupted into smiles and joy and rapture and "wow". So as we were leaving I confirmed his identity (nothing worse than saying something to the wrong person) and told him how much I appreciated the entertainment he had offered for the last however many years.

And do you know what? He said thank you, and that it was just a lovely thing to say. I always thought he was a nice bloke, but that just reaffirmed it. The fact that his little one was seriously adorable and didn't stop talking throughout the film had nothing to do with it, but was brilliant. "Can Monkey sit over there? I want to swap seats with you. Is that Oscar? What's Oscar doing? Oh Scar. Scarey Scar. Daddy. Daddy. Can I sit there. No. I don't WANT to go home." I guess you had to be there. But truly adorable. And hilarious at the same time.

The National Gallery was closed today. I was peeved. Not because it was closed. Well, yes because it was closed. But because Miss 5 was "busting" and we had it in our sights. So when we got there and they said it was closed it meant she would be walking oddly for even longer. So to the Arts Centre we went and visited their facility.

I might add here, we visited public facilities the grand total of 8 times today. Don't ask.

For lunch I gave the girls the option of anything they wanted. It isn't often we get the chance to spend such time together and I wanted to make the most of it. Miss 5 chose a tomato and lettuce sandwich and a fruit box. Miss 4 chose a ham and chicken sandwich and a fruit box.

There. You. Go.

I had sushi. Well, california rolls. Mock sushi. The girls would laugh every time I got a hit of wasabi. Apparently there is a face I pull….

We then spent the next few hours at the gallery at Federation Square. Well. I tell you. I have never been there before but I will be returning. It wasn't quite the NGV on St Kilda Road, but it was something!!!!! And there were many levels, and many different things to keep the mini chicks amused. Outside of the gallery there were also studio spaces related to the moving picture (as we went to ACMI to see the film) which were just fascinating.

So the day was well spent.

We picked up Master 3 at 4 and then it was off to the doctor. Swimming was supposed to start weeks ago but because of ear infections could not. So today was to get clearance for swimming.

That said, Master 3 had a horror night last night and I actually thought he may have perforated his eardrum. Have seen it with both the girls and it was pretty well spot on. Fine this morning though, as is usually the case.

And yep. I was right. Perforated eardrum. Ears still infected. Despite antibiotics, this the 6th ear infection in 3 months. So yes, we do have an ENT referral. And an audiogram too.

Miss 5 also has glue ear so referral number 2.

At least one of my minis got a clean bill of health. Yay for Miss 4!

So even though we had a doctor's visit culminating in a burst eardrum, recurrent ear infections, and 2 referrals to get grommets, that isn't a bad thing. Because they will help. Of that I have no doubt.

And the day was brilliant.

And do you know what? I could not have been more proud of my babies today. The girls were fabulous for 7 hours out and about, save for one incident with Miss 4 and a dropped bottle of water which lasted approximately 30 seconds, and an episode at the paper shoe making station at the gallery (long story) by Miss 5 when the wrong sticker was used to decorate said paper shoe, lasting again approximately 30 seconds.

They talked a lot at the doctor but didn't misbehave.

They. Are. Fabulous.

And they are mine.

And I completely and totally and utterly and unreservedly adore them.

No comments:

Post a Comment