Monday 20 January 2014

I was late for work today.

Today. Yes. When the only person I had to get ready was myself.

Un. Believable.

How did that happen? Well, I will tell you.

I set the alarm for a very respectable time, that being 8am. I of course woke up before this, but knew I could lie in bed until such time as that whiny little ring sounded. Surprisingly it wasn't actually all that long before that occurred.

So up I got, put the kettle on, turned on the computer and looked outside to see what the day was going to bring weather wise. I waited (watched pot and all that) and then sat down at the computer with my coffee.

And I looked around. And my ears were positively ringing from the silence. It was amazing. And I smiled. Hot coffee for me this morning.

Before I knew it it was 8.30am. Oops.

Jumped in the shower, washed hair and all that, then out again, and it's 8.45am. Oops. Again.

Still had to dry hair, get dressed, and put on makeup. And I was out the door at 9 on the dot. Which is approximately the time I start work.

Ah well. These things happen. My boss wasn't there yet so he was none the wiser. But it's a me thing. I know what time I'm supposed to start. I just don't like being late.

Actually I don't like being late for anything. Particularly where others are involved, but even if I have set myself (and the kids) a schedule. Where others are involved I just think it is rude. They have gone to the trouble of making plans with you, the least you can do is respect that enough to keep to the time agreed. And if you are going to be more than five minutes late, well, it is simply courtesy to let the other party know. In my humble opinion.

So I have done a bit since the kids got picked up. I have vacuumed. And what a rewarding experience that was. Because we had done craft. Post-craft vacuum is a wonderful experience. So audibly worthwhile.

I have rearranged some furniture. As you do.

I have also culled four bags of clothes. So far.

I have done four loads of washing.

I have sung, at 11.30pm, because I could.

I played random youtube videos at 1.05am. Because I could. And then I realised it was 1.05am and I had to work the next day.

I came straight home from work. And then realised I needed dog food, so immediately popped up to the supermarket. It took almost no time. A. Mazing.

I have looked through my photo albums on Facebook and become emotional because I miss the kids.

I have smiled at random things I remember them doing or saying.

I have emailed and messaged people I don't know.

This one may need some explaining. Otherwise you may think that I see random people posting on Facebook and send them an arbitrary message telling them that I am about to go to the supermarket. Or something. As some people may think.

But no. Sometimes I see people and I think that what they have done is amazing. Or extraordinary. Or just plain difficult, but they kept at it. I don't know these people. They don't know me. But I want to let them know what I am thinking, so I message them. They may never get the message. Sometimes they do. And sometimes they actually respond.

The thought behind it is this. Life is hard. Some things are harder than others. Sometimes, even though most things are going well, some things aren't. Sometimes a positive word is enough to do something. Not necessarily a monumental thing. But something.

Think about it. Next time you see someone who is having a difficult time, or who is supremely motivated to achieve a goal, tell them about the positive effect they are having, not only on themselves, but on others.

They may be having a bad day and hiding it. They may not. But they may.

Any chance you have to say something positive, say it.

I have some new mantras.

Be. Positive.

See positivity in others. And tell them they have that effect.

Smile.

The thing is this. Even if you are going through a rough time, even a really really rough time, there are very few days that have no positives. Focus on the positives. Acknowledge the positives. Positives breed. Let them. You will reap the reward.

Allow life to breathe itself into you and fill yourself with life.

Then share it.

I think it is fair to say I'm having a good day. Why? Because. Because I am letting myself. Because this small amount of time has given me an enormous amount of perspective.

And because life isn't fair. But sulking about it isn't going to make you feel any better.

As they say, you can't change that which you can't control. But you can change the way you react to it.

And there endeth the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment