Monday 9 December 2013

There is good. And there is bad.

Today there was bad.

Maybe not so much in some peoples' lives, but in mine, it was a bad.

Miss 5 came home from school today. And she presented me with something, with a bit of a smile, but more of a "here you go".

It was a photo. Her whole school photo. Crushed. Because it had been in her bag.

No protection for the photo. Just a flimsy little plastic pocket.

I was absolutely devastated.

What should have been a happy occasion, my daughter giving me the photograph with all her schoolmates from her first year at school ever, was tainted because I simply could not restrain the sadness I felt looking at the crushed picture.

I had wanted to frame it. There is no way I could frame it. It is all but ruined.

So I emailed the school. I let them know that I was bitterly disappointed, and that I would have expected that it be protected with cardboard, or, if not, I would have been alerted to the fact it was at the school to pick up, rather than entrusting such a picture to a 5 year old.

Yes, for some it may seem inconsequential and little. To me it is not.

Tonight was ruined. Dramatic? Maybe. Melodramatic? I don't think so.

Aside from the fact that the picture itself is ruined, I am not made of money so can't just up and buy replacements when things are wrecked in transit.

I want my children to learn the value of money. I want them to understand that things just don't magically appear because they want them, or, in this case, because they haven't been careful with things and they get ruined.

Miss 5 did apologise. I acknowledge that. And I am glad she did.

I guess I'm just tired. Not like oh let's have a nap or a sleep for the night and wake up refreshed.

I mean like I am tired. To the core, every single atom of my being is tired.

For such a long time I have done so much for so many and I am just tired. And when things don't go right then yes, I am going to get upset. Because why the hell should I be the one who has to fix it, or follow it up, or bring it to peoples' attention that this is not the way it should be done.

Because there are others out there that wouldn't. That couldn't. That's why.

And that is another reason I am tired. Because if something isn't right I will always speak. Not because the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Because if nobody says anything ever, then how on earth are those making the mistakes able to know that mistakes have been made?

I'm probably rambling. I am past the point of caring right now.

Things are not always sunshine and roses. Tonight they were scrambled eggs and an early night.

And a glass or two of wine for mum.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Of that I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment