Friday 13 December 2013

Moo baa….double quack, double quack…..

You either have no idea what I am talking about or you are shaking your head and feeling enormous pity for me right now.

Some songs they just get in. Like liquid into this chalk.

Last night it was Pocoyo. Or is it Pororo? One or the other. I don't know. They are all starting to blend in.

I don't like the new Wiggles. I didn't like the old Wiggles. I like the new Wiggles even less. I think the red Wiggle tries too hard. And the yellow Wiggle, chick Wiggle, is not Wiggle material. That they have the old purple Wiggle being the chef these days is just wrong.

Seriously Wiggles, pick up your bloody game. Not impressed. But then again, I wasn't before. So there you go. I'm sure there was a point. Lost it. Fine. I'm used to it.

As a single parent there are very few things you can do without interruption.

You will never shower alone again.

"Muuuuuuuuuuum."

Master 3. Standing at the shower door.

"What is it baby?"

"I want a hug."

I know I have mentioned this one before. But there you go. Just keeps on cropping up now doesn't it. And the thing is, I'm not repeating myself. This is what happens. The same thing. Over and over. My life is Groundhog Day at times.

"I can't give you a hug, I'm in the shower."

"But I want a hug!"

"Baby I'm all wet, I can't give you a hug."

"But I want a hug!"

"I'll give you a hug when I'm out of the shower and dry."

*Master 3 runs off, screaming, as per usual*

And I got maybe 1 minute of peace before I heard screams. As in screams. Oh. God. What the hell has happened?? I have shampoo in my hair too. Far from ideal.

"WHAT IS IT?? WHO IS SCREAMING???" This whilst frantically washing the shampoo out of my hair anticipating the need to leap from the shower and rescue whichever child needs rescuing in as short a time as possible.

And Miss 4 comes running in, I hear her, pull back the shower curtain and say "What is it baby?? Who's screaming?? What's happening??"

And she says it.

"Peppa Pig is on!!!"

Good God children, seriously. Give your mother a bloody heart attack.

So I know I have 5 minutes 17 seconds at the very least to finish my shower, and that is a small mercy for the day.

Today is Friday. The day where Miss 5 goes to school and the younger two spend the day with me.

So after we dropped off Miss 5 we did the usual and headed out towards the babycino shop. Master 3 opted to see the helicopters first this morning though, so that's where we went.

And as we drove around the corner I could not believe it. The biggest helicopter I have ever seen. I think it was one of those water dropping helicopters. Maybe. It was enormous. Master 3 was beside himself. And it seems as though he now wants to be a helicopter pilot when he grows up. Good on him. He'll rock at that. Although I'm not sure he'll get enough people contact so he might have to moonlight. Oh that's right, he will be. He's going to be a footballer too he tells me. Fabuloso.

So in we go to the babycino shop and I order the coffee, babycinos, muffin for the kids and some eggs Benedict for me, because I am semi hungry and I know Master 3 eats half my food anyway.

Today was no different. Except he didn't eat the spinach. So we made a deal for next time. I won't order the muffin, I'll order an extra large breakfast and we can all share. You would have thought I had suggested we go to Disneyland. So that's a big yes for next week.

We always have a bit of a look around the store after we get the babycino, because it isn't really a cafe where we go. Well, it is, but it isn't. It is in an enormous supermarket. Although supermarket is the wrong word. It does have a grocery section but also has a massive deli, fresh seafood, meat, fruit, bakery, the cafe obviously, fellow making his own pastry whatsit things, it is more than just a supermarket.

Anyway, we had a look around and my and the kids' fave little crackers were on special so I suggested they grab a few packs, which they did, and then cabana was half price (sing for joy!!!!) so we got a stick of that too.

Heading to the checkouts I started to line up behind someone as Master 3 rushed over to a vacant checkout and said "THIS ONE!!!!" To which I replied that it was shut, and the person behind me laughed and shook his head.

Not one minute later someone came and opened up that checkout and the bloke behind me rushed over to it and started unloading.

Not. Cool. Mate.

I said nothing. I was just appalled. Where are manners these days?

And as I was thinking how much this fellow could use some schooling in that regard a woman came up to me and asked if I would like to come through to her checkout (which was closed but she opened just for us). So I did.

And the kids placed their pack of crackers on the conveyor belt, Master 3 putting his down then Miss 4. And the conveyor started moving. And as it got just towards the end Master 3 screamed out "MINE'S WINNING!!!!!!!"

Gold.

So we headed home. We did some crafty things today. Made some paper chains which was a bit of fun. Master 3 didn't quite get the knack of it and just pasted strips of paper onto a white piece of paper, but Miss 4 was getting up some pretty good speed with the chain work.

And then I plonked on the sofa. And as per usual the kids jumped on top of me. Then my phone made a noise, I asked Master 3 to get it for me, which he did, I checked it, I forget what it was, but I had my phone.

So I suggested to Master 3 that he might like to sing a song.

And that was it. The beginning of an absolutely amazing series of events.

We videoed. With the iPhone. Which isn't videoing is it, it is recording. Or somethinging. What the hell do you call it these days? Anyway, whatever it is, that is what we did.

He jumped. He sang. He laughed. I actually managed to capture that moment just as he lost his balance and fell off the sofa. I caught him. That was not on the video. But it happened.

But the funniest one was when he began singing "A B C". By the time he got up to P he realised Miss 4 was standing behind me, watching the video, but also singing. So he screams "NOOO!" and points, and then starts singing again. We get to G and he does the same. And then he starts again, but bounces on every letter. And the bouncing is getting higher. And higher. And higher.

And by the time we got to zed it was pretty high.

And then came the "Next time won't you sing…."

And without warning, completely without expectation, on "with" he took one step towards me and on "me" he leapt.

And yes. He landed on top of me. And yes. I laughed. A lot. Even though it hurt. Because holy crap it was seriously one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life.

And it was then I realised that we had to pick up Miss 5 from school.

And there was still a carol night to go to…. but perhaps I'll leave that for next time shall I…. I'm exhausted just reliving what happened today…..

But smiling. And that's always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment