Thursday 12 December 2013

I hate bedtime

With a passion.

Not my bedtime, although probably in some ways my bedtime, but I'm more thinking of the kids.

It sucks.

Witching hour doesn't even come close to describing that ridiculous constant battle between small folks and their parents at the approximate time at which they are to put themselves into their sleep vessels and bash the zeds out.

We get the delays. At reading time it's always "one more". Now I am queen hardass and they get one book each. More than fair. There are books that are short and there are books that are long. They get to choose one book each. That said if they choose one of the REALLY long books it's a chapter. That is more than fair too.

So reading done. Teeth, toilet, bed. Usually routine.

"TTB!!!!"

"Yes darling, so off you go, go and brush your teeth."

"Bzzzzzzzzzz wheeeeeeee" as Master 3 puts the arms out and takes off fighter jet style.

Miss 4 plonks firmly on the sofa, arms folded.

"No. I don't WANT to go to bed."

"Well it's bed time, and bed is where you are going. Up, teeth, toilet, bed."

And at this time of the year there is another addition.

"You'll end up on the naughty list…"

Now I don't even know why I say it because to be honest it doesn't work. It just doesn't.

I know my kids, and I know that I used to do pretty well exactly what they did, and the naughty list did bugger all to deter me as well.

So yes, anyway, I had a point. Oh yes, that's it. After a million years the kids finally got into their various beds.

And then the tears started.

Miss 5.

"Why are you crying baby?"

"Because I only have a few days left at school and I love school and I want to go to school." *sobs*

"But baby over the holidays you'll get to do so much, we'll go on a little trip and we'll visit the beach and go on the carousel and do all sorts of wonderful and fun things"

"But I love SCHOOL" *bursts into uncontrollable sobs*

So there are two things here. Probably more actually.

First thing that comes into my mind is that I am rapt she likes school that much, because there are so many kids for whom school is a struggle and is unpleasant. Not so Miss 5.

Second thing that came to my mind was "seriously? you're crying about that???" Geez, I used to HANG for when school was over. I didn't like school. Not that I was bad at it. The work side was always fine. The sitting still in one place for that many hours was an enormous PITA. Still is. I did my entire law degree off campus. In the space of five years there were four weekends we were required on campus. Four. 8 days in total, 8 hours in lectures each day. I lasted 1.5 tops each time. I couldn't do it. HATE sitting still.

Anyway, I digress. Just for something different.

So Miss 5 eventually went to sleep. That just left the other 2. Now time ticks on. And on. And on.

And just when you think that they may have settled and things have been quiet for 5 or so minutes you hear it.

"Are you putting me on the naughty list?"

Oh good lord child GTFTS.

"No baby just go to sleep."

"Is the moon up?"

"Yes baby, it's night time, it is sleep time, the moon is up."

"Oooooh."

Master 3 loves discussion. At any time. About anything. He is very rarely quiet. Actually the only time he is quiet is when he is asleep. And even then he talks in his sleep so isn't really quiet.

I had a point. I have no idea what it was.

Tonight it took a good hour at least for the kids to go to sleep. And that was "not bad".

They don't tell you about this stuff. So many things about which they simply don't tell you.

You know what else they don't tell you about?? Hang on, I'll get the list…. It's in storage….. It'll take a fleet of trucks to bring it here….

Actually on second thoughts I might just tell you the odd thing as I remember it. Oh, that's another thing they don't tell you about…. once you have kids kiss your memory goodbye. Miss 5 is the only reason I remember what I need at the supermarket. And of late Miss 4. And woolies online iPhone app.

You should write lists. For everything. But you first need to remember to actually write it down.

Don't mind about going into a room and forgetting why you've gone there, I'll get into the car, drive for 20 minutes, find myself god only knows where and wonder why the hell I went there in the first place. Usually after a coffee at a random cafe I've never been to before I'll get some kind of epiphany that will tell me why I have found myself in the area I am currently, but sometimes no. Sometimes I just turn around and go home. And sometimes later that night I remember. And sometimes I never do.

I am embracing the CIA. Child Induced Amnesia. The sooner you embrace it the better it will be for you, trust me. It is simply pointless spending hours upon end beating yourself up and trying to remember what the hell you are doing driving through a forest in the middle of nowhere.

Sometimes you just have to let go. Yes, you went there for a reason. No, you can't remember it.

But there is nothing stopping you looking out the windows and taking in the scenery…….after all….you're already there……why not enjoy it…...


No comments:

Post a Comment