Saturday 7 December 2013

Do you want to hold a tooth?

Not something you would anticipate hearing on a regular basis.

Nor would you expect to hear "Here's a rib. Why don't you hold that?"

We went to the museum today. I adore the museum. Simply adore it.

There are several reasons why. First and foremost, being a single mum to three wonderful little folks, well, it is free. As I have the pensioner concession and the kids are kids we don't pay for entry for any of us.

Score.

We pay $16 to park underneath. We could park on the street. However if it rains ba bow. If it is incredibly windy or hot or something ba bow. There is a limit on the time you can stay there.

So we park underneath. $16 well spent.

And we take a truckload of food. I made 1.5 loaves worth of sandwiches, brought a few kilos of fruit and several dozen muesli bars and other snacks.

Yes. My children eat a lot.

And so the morning was spent "in anticipation" of going. Which always makes things interesting. Not always in a good way. For there is the choice of outfit. Incredibly important. The girls found it necessary to close their door and try on several different outfits, and when I dared to venture into the foyer I heard screams of "DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!!!". To which I replied "I'm not looking at you." and wondered how they thought I could see them through a closed door. Perhaps my ruse of being able to see what they are doing at all times is working…….

Eventually we made it to the car. Lots of false starts. Some mine. Mostly theirs. But we got there.

And we started driving.

"Is this the way to get to the museum?"

"Yes baby."

"How do you know?"

"Because I've been there before."

"Ooooooh. So why is it this way then?"

"Because it is."

"What's that?"

"What?"

"That."

"Where?"

"There."

"Where there?"

"There. That. The thing."

"Oh yes, that. Much clearer. What?"

"THAT! THERE!!! THE THING!!!"

"WHAT!!!!??? WHERE???????"

"The CRANE."

"Oooooh."

Seriously. I can do many things, but read your mind I cannot.

So we got to the museum, and today we were doing things differently. It wasn't just us. We were meeting friends. Turbo excitement plus.

We got there a bit early so opted to go to the rainforest walk. Now there are ramps to get up and down this rainforest walk. My kids love to run up and down ramps. These ramps were concrete. I suggested that running was perhaps not the best idea as if there was a bit of a stutter in the mechanism then tumble down would come child and come an absolute cropper.

So they agreed to this. The girls I mean. Master 3 was strapped into the pram. Safely. I love the pram. Not just for the keeping child restrained factor but it saves me having to carry bags…..

But I digress.

Girls started running and I reminded them they shouldn't. And so they started walking. Briskly.

Now you may recall they chose their own outfits today. Miss 4 opted for a beautiful little skirt that had layers and layers of chiffon, one atop the other ruffle style.

When this style of skirt is worn whilst power walking it creates an absolutely amazing visual. And so I pushed the pram, watching Miss 4 power wiggling up the ramp in front of me with tears streaming down my face and struggling for air because seriously, it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. And the look on Miss 4's face as she did the hairpin turn halfway and saw me smiling so widely and being so happy (albeit laughing at her patootie but she didn't twig to that) was reflective of my happiness, because she saw me being happy and mirrored it times a thousand. It was fabulous.

So we rainforested for a bit and then our friends arrived. There are friends and there are friends. These friends are friends that, well, everyone should have friends like these friends. Because they are genuine. And genuine people are such a rarity in this day and age. And I feel privileged to have these people, big and small, in my life.

The kids all get along brilliantly. Every time we get together. Today was no different. I have a fabulous photo of the four girls hand in hand walking along. Just amazing.

Four hours flew. It really did. There were very few incidents and a great day was had by all. And some great photos were taken to boot.

Once we got home I decided that the lawn did need mowing, and I could no longer hold it off.

I have decided that one can only correctly gauge how hot a day is after one has mowed a large back lawn.

Today was hot. Seriously hot. I had to come in and have a Zooper Dooper (the kids were rapt because of course they got one too) to try and rehydrate and cool off.

I did the front lawn too. That was far quicker than the mammoth back lawn. I do need a whipper snipper though. Another time.

And then we made dough to make santa heads with handprints. The kids loved it, I made decorations with the leftovers, then popped it in the oven.

It is to be baked for 3 hours at 100.

My oven starts at 120.

I forgot they were in it.

4 and a bit hours later I remembered.

Tomorrow we will be making santa heads. Again. Deja vu. At least I know the kids will enjoy it……..

No comments:

Post a Comment