Sunday 8 December 2013

I am constantly amazed

at how much I am able to get done when the kids are away for the day.

I had 6 hours. 6 hours kid-free. The day started early, as per usual.

After breakfast I made up another batch of the dough for the handprint Santas, the same dough that saw miserable failure occur on last attempt.

Whilst the kids were away I baked them. They failed miserably. Again. My thought is that it is due to the fact that the "recipe" calls for it to be baked at 100 celcius and my oven doesn't even start until 120. So they swelled, these Santa heads.

And 2013 shall be known as the year in which Santa had a reaction to bees. Tis the only logical explanation for the lumps all over his handprint head.

Anyway, as soon as the kids left I got into the car and hi-tailed it into the city to pick up the last of the Christmas laybys. I managed to fluke a 15 minute free parking spot literally around the corner from where I needed to go. Amazing. Truly amazing.

So off I ran (well, I didn't run, I walked briskly) to the shop and straight up to the layby counter. I paid off the last $40 (woohoo!!) and they gave it to me. A massive box. And two smaller boxes.

"Would you like a bag?"

"Um, yes, I think that would be a good idea."

On the positive side of things, I managed to bring a smile to many peoples' faces as I lugged this massive bag, which in actuality was approximately three quarters of my size, back to the car. I loaded it up with a grunt (literally) and slothed back into the car. It took me a good few minutes to catch my breath.

Note to self: get fit.

And off I went, back home again. By the time I made it home it was about 1.5 hours since I had initially left.

Then I got all the presents out from their stash places all over the house and sorted them into piles, one each for Miss 5, Miss 4 and Master 3, and one "group" pile.

Now I do things a little differently than most. Santa brings presents to each child, but there are also "share" presents. These include things like DVDs and games, and things that are very obviously utilised between the kids equally rather than one person having ownership over them.

That is the reason the box was so enormous today. Because there was a Barbie Cruise Ship. The girls also got a Barbie and Master 3 got a Ken. And then there is the Cruise Ship. It is enormous. It opens out to 3.5 feet wide.

I had to get it. Why? Because at the July sales it was reduced from $198 to $48. Yes. You read correctly. A saving of $150. And I justified it by saying that I couldn't afford it at $198 but it would be a $198 toy SO much cheaper, and it was big enough that all three kids could play with it at once.

Perfect.

So that is the centre of the "share" pile anyway.

Now I'll let you hazard a guess as to how long it took to wrap these presents.

And I will interject here to say that first thing this morning I stripped all the kids' beds in order to wash their sheets, donnas and mattress protectors. Keep that in mind.

So wrapping presents. I'll give you the low down. There are a few things in life at which I excel. There are many things that I can do competently and confidently. There are a few things with which I struggle but I get by. Then there is parking the car and wrapping presents. A massive life ba bow in both regards.

Combine the lack of ability and finesse with the fact that I shake and it becomes a veritable dog's breakfast. I am illogical in the wrapping stakes and often end up with far too much or far too little paper because when it comes to spatial awareness I am about as adept as a fish is at macrame.

Three hours. Three hours I was wrapping presents.

By the end of it I had developed an entirely new respect for those people who stand behind tables at the mall offering to wrap peoples' presents for a paltry gold coin donation. I bow down to them for their neat corners and perfect judgement of paper required, their lining up of patterns and their expert curling of ribbons.

I crashed. And burned. I had to turn the air conditioner on I had got myself into that much of a frenzy.

And then I remembered. I still had to make up all the beds.

Oh joy. I love it when I do stuff like that.

But at least the presents are all done. Wrapped. Ready to rock n roll.

Bring it on Santa. I'm ready…...

No comments:

Post a Comment