Wednesday 11 December 2013

So I went out last night.

Yes, on a Tuesday.

Don't get excited, I wasn't out clubbing. Every 2 months I attend a lawyers' association dinner with a bunch of other lawyers…. we have some drinks, a 2 course meal, and guest speakers. These speakers count towards the mandatory 10 points of continuing professional development we are expected to do each year. But in reality it really is just a night out.

My darling mother uses this opportunity to spend some time with my babies, spoils them absolutely rotten, which they, and she, adore, and I let happen, because it really doesn't happen all that often and after all, what are nanas for but to spoil their grandkidlets.

So last night was no different to any other of the meetings really, except there were a few people I hadn't met before, a few I had, and it was actually cooler last night than it had been at the October meeting, which was quite bizarre.

So I got a glass of red, had a chat to a few people, met a few others, then sat down at the table. The meals arrived halfway through the guest speaker, which is not unusual, and as the waitress put down smoked salmon and lemon wedges I told her of my citrus allergy (I have a citrus allergy, not sure if I told you that, and I'm also allergic to chocolate. Yes. I know. I cope.). She took that plate away, and as the fellow behind her went to put down the risotto she said "oh hang on a tic, that has lemon juice in it too."

Who puts lemon juice in risotto??

Anyway, they served the rest of the dining room, and then came back with a meal for me. Risotto. Minus the lemon juice. And OMG. Seriously. It was amazing. Parmesan shavings throughout, beautifully cooked mushrooms, rice that was just to the tooth, and delicately blanched asparagus as a garnish. It. Was. Fabulous.

I didn't quite finish it. The plate was enormous. But truly it was amazing and I secretly hope that is on the menu again.

Main course. Fish. Ba bow. But luckily it was an alternating plate main course, and the fish was not scheduled for my place. No. Oh no. I, in my sheer luck and rapture, received the medium rare eye fillet steak with what I would describe as a light jus.

Holy. Hell.

The food at this place is amazing. That the quality can be THAT good when they are serving 50 or 60 people the same (or half half alternating plates) is just astounding.

But wait. There's more.

A real estate agent got up to have a chat. And yes, I know I said it was a lawyers' association meeting, but we often have other industry reps come in to tell us the state of affairs in their industry. Thus Mr Real Estate.

But Mr Real Estate also got into the Christmas spirit. And he announced that he had brought some hampers with him, and if everyone checked under their seat they may find an envelope which would indicate that they had won.

So I reached under my seat and felt nothing, so had a sip of wine and watched everyone else at the table up-end their chairs, to no avail. Then someone said "there's one per table." And as everyone on my table had upended their chairs I figured I should probably have a look… which I did… I leaned forward ever so slightly and managed to see the tiny edge of an envelope peeking out from underneath my seat.

I WON THE HAMPER!!!!!!! And it wasn't small either. AND there was a bottle of wine in it.

So I had two magnificent meals, more wine than I probably should have for a Tuesday night, and scored a massive hamper out of it!!!

Suffice to say, yesterday was definitely better than the day before.

Sigh. Smile. The world is balanced again.

No comments:

Post a Comment