Friday 15 November 2013

Today was accidentally fabulous.

It started out no different from any other day.

I woke up to random child asking if it was too early to get up. It was. I told her. She said she was awake though. Fine. I'm staying in bed. With Miss 4. Again. Obvious late night addition to my room.

And then Master 3 running in asking if it is time for breakfast. No. It is not. Chill. I'm still in bed.

Anyway, I did get up eventually, put the kettle on, got the kidlets breakfast, made Miss 5's lunch, got everyone ready and we were out the door at 8.30am. No. We weren't. Miss 5 had to go to the toilet. Just as we were leaving. 8.35am.

So we get to school, drop Miss 5 off, and then it's the usual coffee and babycino run. But we shook it up today. We sat outside. Mistake. The outdoor heaters they used made it so hot as to be almost unbearable, so we left. Via the chocolate aisle where we bought white chocolate, then some condensed milk. I'll be making some fudge this weekend. As you do.

Then off to visit the helicopters. Again, as we do every Friday. We just so happened to see three of them sitting out on the tarmac. We even got massively excited as people started buzzing around one of them. But no joy. Waiting. Waiting. So we took a selfie. Holy crap. Best car selfie ever! Sensational!

And then something something we left there, went somewhere else, went home, up to school to give Miss 5 medicine, back home, something something, then off to assembly.

For the first time ever Master 3 fell asleep on my lap.

And it just so happened to be the same day that Miss 5 got an award. And I couldn't take a picture. Because Master 3 was asleep on me.

And so I did what anyone else in the same situation would have done. I tapped the bloke in front of me and asked him to take photos of "the girl with the pigtails in the middle". He did. And did a sterling job mind you, especially considering the room itself has the sun streaming through the windows behind so most photos I have ever taken in there end up with black shadows instead of people. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't win awards, but it was far better than anything I could have done.

And because Miss 5 was so excited about the award and everyone was happy I thought bugger it we'll get fast food for tea. So she chose McDonalds. As children do.

And we got there. And saw one of the other prep mums and her kids.

And we sat down. And in walked another of the prep mums and her kids.

And she came over and told me that another of the prep mums was also coming.

And so what started out as a little fast food dinner turned into a fabulous prep mum catchup, with all the kids amusing each other, and enough 'other' children to avoid my three trying to kill each other. And instead of the 45 minutes or so we would have been there we ended up over an hour and half just sitting and chatting and it was absolutely fabulous.

When we got home I got all the kids into the bath and washed their hair. No tears.

I brushed the girls' hair. No tears.

I got everyone in their pyjamas. No complaints that they didn't want those pyjamas.

We read a few books. Nobody arced up.

And they went to bed, Master 3 came out only once, and everyone was asleep within 10 minutes.

Oh. My. God.

Talk about a sensational day.

And isn't it funny as parents how the definition of sensational has changed.

These days, the following things top my list of "great day occurrences".

A sleep in. Rare as hen's teeth, but they have been known to occur every now and then.

An evening with no fighting. Even more rare than the elusive sleep in, but again, it has been known to occur.

Camaraderie. Love. Joy. Playing. Watching the kids love being with one another. And being involved with that.

Having a child fall asleep on me, where I can gaze at them for as long as I want to without them telling me not to. I can feel their every breath. It is the closest I will ever get to having them a part of me again.

Watching my babies enjoy life and events. Today was amazing. Miss 5's face holding her award was pure joy reflected. Such pride in herself. A smile from here to eternity. And I was there to share in it. I was a part of it. She looked over at me dozens of times, beaming. And I was beaming too because I was just so proud. I didn't even hear what the award was for, that I found out afterwards, I was just so happy for her because I could see how happy she was. I never could have believed that someone else's happiness could be such a source of happiness for myself.

Memories are created accidentally. You can't fabricate a memory. You cannot force something to be a way it is not. Because it will always feel forced.

You can't make someone love you. But when they do you will know.

I know my babies love me. And I know they know I love them.

And we are making memories every single day.

And my heart has never been fuller.

No comments:

Post a Comment