Sunday 10 November 2013

Pop goes the eardrum.

Last night sucked.

I was thinking of ways in which I could adequately express the night such that others who were not present could understand, and that's all I got. Granted, I got very little sleep last night, for various reasons.

I may have mentioned that my childrens' sleep habits are such that a sleep scientist would be in 7th heaven.

All the kids sleepwalk.

All the kids sleeptalk.

Miss 5 had night terrors from age 10 months until she had her tonsils and adenoids removed at age 4.

Master 3 still has night terrors, which started about 14 months ago.

They all have incredibly vivid dreams.

And life, as I believe I may have previously mentioned, is never dull.

So last night I hear Miss 5 starting to have a chat in a less than happy manner. I pop in there and she informs me, whilst asleep, that Master 3 was flying up into space, and she was not terribly happy about this. I reassured her that he was safe and all was good in the world and she went back to sleep.

I neglected to mention that when I went in to investigate Miss 5's vocal outburst I was confronted by Miss 4 sitting bolt upright in bed with her eyes open. Before I settled Miss 5 I gently lowered Miss 4 back on to her pillow and popped her doona back on.

As I said. Never dull.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, some time in the late evening the cries of "ow" commenced. Not just "ow". But "ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow". While she was asleep. But writhing as though she was being electrocuted. Still asleep.

So I stayed with her. And every time she started writhing I gently soothed her and every time she said "ow" I asked her where it hurt.

Eventually she woke herself up and promptly burst into tears. I asked her again where it hurt and she said her ear. So I got some Panadol and gave it to her and then sat with her some more.

Panadol didn't help. So some time later out came the Nurofen.

Nurofen didn't work. So then I had to wait another few hours before I could up the ante and hit her with the Pain Stop. Why not sooner? Because you can't use it with other paracetamol products.

Note to self: When child wakes up visibly distressed, give Nurofen first. That way if pain does not settle you can then go to the Pain Stop without having to wait it out.

Shan't forget that one.

Long story short I put her in bed with me so I could be right there and doze occasionally too.

Her sleep apnoea returned for the first time since her tonsils were removed.

And she was hot. Oh so hot. And the drugs weren't doing squat.

Early in the morning she seemed to calm, and fell asleep for some time. During this time I got the others all ready, and she then woke up, had two bites of food and realised she didn't want food, and then we headed to the doctor.

As we got there I looked at the million people and sighed. But I was prepared this time. I had packed four rounds of sandwiches, water bottles for everyone, 2 muesli bars each and a box of shapes. Emergency food.

As we were waiting a woman who was obviously in some sort of distress came in and ignored the line and waltzed up to the front counter. As I was next, the receptionist asked what I needed, and I deferred to Mrs Upset. I figured it would be easier for all concerned if she was looked after because, well, she seemed pretty upset.

So then we got seen to, I told her I couldn't keep Miss 5's temperature down, she was complaining of intense ear pain and we needed to see someone.

Straight to the nurse. 38.4 after Panadol and still not able to give Nurofen yet.

She rings doctor and we get straight in there. As he looks at her ears he tells me the eardrum has already ruptured.

Want to hear the ironic thing? After much putting off for various different reasons, we finally started swimming lessons. Yesterday. And now she can't swim for 3 weeks. You couldn't have scripted that if you tried.

Anyway, all's good, she has drugs, we had a quiet day at home, did some pasting, chilled in front of the idiot box.

My brain is incapable of comprehensive thought right now. I was amazed I remembered to brush the kids' teeth tonight, that's how foggy I feel. And yet I'm still up. Because I went to do an update on my phone and it wouldn't let me. Because there isn't enough space left on my phone. Which I have had for about 6 months. Full. Of photos. And useless apps.

So I began a delete-a-thon.

You know I take photos of such rubbish. Like stuff that if I saw someone else take a photo of I would think they were off their head. That kind of stuff.

I took a photo of a chicken. Because it was across the road. And I just thought that was hilarious. Because I wondered why it had crossed the road. And I reckon I laughed for a good 10 minutes. But I didn't just take one photo. I took 10. Of the chicken. I have no idea why.

Oh actually yes I do. I kinda shake. So it is hard to get a good photo. So for every 10 I take there is usually one good one. THAT is why there were 10 chicken shots.

So there were also copious amounts of food shots. There were a few shots of carpet where I had inadvertently hit the button. There were a few pictures of dental treatment that the kids had obviously saved from a little game they have on the iPhone.

There was a really disturbing picture that one of the kids had drawn that I don't even want to think about describing, suffice to say I don't think it was meant to be an anatomically correct blue thing but it just turned out that way.

A lot of food pictures. A lot of pork pictures actually. Specifically roast pork belly. Crispy skinned. *drool*. Amazing. I can smell it and taste it and hear the crackling being broken as I look at the pictures. Mmmmm.

Now I want pork.

And there are other random photos too. Some actually pretty cool. The reading room at the state library. Amazing.

An arty farty shot of Flinders Street station.

And several photos of the enormous amount of caffeine I ingest some mornings, with a long black backed up by a Coke and a Red Bull.

Anyway, I'm working on getting through them. So in the last however long I have deleted 1000 photos. Go me.

But what is there left, seriously. It truly could be anything. It's like that mystery cupboard at home. Where you just chuck random stuff. And then years later you go through and it's like "Oh wow, there is my 1988 bicentennial commemorative $5 coin! And you think I wonder how much that's worth now being that it is way old and a collector's item and so you go on ebay and discover it is worth $5.

Gold.

Love it.

You do make the odd random discovery though, in that mystery cupboard. I found some drawings Miss 5 had done as a wee one. Brought a bit of a tear to the eye to look at them actually. And a few little random photos in there too. I also came across stuff that I have no recollection of and wonder just how it got there.

Anyway, I digress, once again.

I'm hoping tonight is far less 'lively' than last night and I can perhaps gain a little shut eye in preparation for what is now my three day a week working week (yes, got put up a day last week).

I even was organised enough to make my lunch for tomorrow. Stir fry veg in oyster sauce. Mmmm. Sensational.

Not organised enough to remember to iron Miss 5's uniform or my work clothes though…. guess I'll be up for a bit longer then…...

No comments:

Post a Comment