Sunday 17 November 2013

If you are ever stuck….

on an idea for a gift…. then give a gift voucher to Movida.

Oh. My. God.

Seriously.

Absolutely. Amazing.

Last night my friend took me there as a belated birthday present because she was away on the evening of my 40th.

Thank you doesn't even come close to expressing what I felt in appreciation for that foodie experience.

The food we ate was truly astounding. And it is my new favourite place.

We then went for drinks at Crown and that was also great. Fabulous ambience, great live music, fab chats and laughs.

And then this morning I had a sleep in.

Yes. I have a child-free weekend. I know. I'm beside myself with glee.

And I had a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast which I DID NOT SHARE WITH ANYONE. And Yes I am yelling. Wouldn't you??

I got a lawnmower today. For free. I kid you not.

Freecycle. Look it up. It is a Yahoo group.

People post things they don't want anymore, and other people email if they need them.

Or you offer things up. Or say things you need.

A few examples to give you an idea.

The kids have a lot of books, and as they get older the books they read and look through change. So I would sort through the books (when the kids aren't there of course, if they were there I would never ever get rid of anything) and I put together a pile/bag of them and post a message on the group saying OFFER: Books and my suburb. And people email me to see if they can have them.

Now if, for example, my lawnmower breaks and I need a lawnmower, I then put WANTED: Lawnmower and my suburb and people are free to reply if they have one. Well, someone did. Brilliantly. So now I have a lawnmower, and I mowed my lawn today with it and it is fabulous.

I also had a find. On the way back from picking up the lawnmower I saw a large wooden unit on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it. Wow. Seriously. Free.

So I went home, took the lawnmower out of the boot and put it into the garage, then went back to see if the wood unit was still there.

It was.

Gold.

So I opened the boot, put the other seat down (there was one down for the lawnmower), then looked at the unit and tried to gauge whether it would fit.

I have come to the conclusion that I am spatially retarded. Because I literally have NO idea about the length and width of things. Nor their apparent weight so it would seem.

Because I got the unit off the nature strip and onto the road behind the car and then stopped. And looked at it. And looked at my car. And promptly burst out laughing saying to myself "Perhaps you may have been a little ambitious". Which I had been. Because firstly the unit looked a LOT bigger up close than it had speeding by, and secondly because, well, it wasn't going anywhere.

So I wondered what to do. So I stood there laughing. As you do.

And cars went past.

And more cars went past.

And a car reversed.

And the bloke driving asked if I needed help, to which I replied "Yes, I really do" and promptly burst out laughing.

He had his daughter with him, samaritan man, and as he got out of the car he told me that he said to his daughter as they drove past that it looked as though I really needed help.

So he helped me. He worked out what I needed to do with the inside of the car to make the unit fit, and then, after much toing and froing the unit was in the car with the door closed.

And he asked if I had someone to help me unload it at the other end, in response to which I laughed and said I hoped to rope in a neighbour. Wherein he offered to follow me and help me unload it.

Yes. I'm serious.

And he did. And he did.

And how lovely that there are people in this world like that.

And so I decided to do what I think is fitting in the circumstances, and I paid it forward.

I had a friend message me and ask me if I could help her with something. And to pay it forward I did.

And when she thanked me once it was done I just suggested the same. That she pay it forward. If something comes up and she can help, she should.

It is an amazing thing the pay it forward thing. Because it benefits everyone. The person who receives the help is so very very grateful, and the person giving the help is given such a feeling of warmth in their heart.

So today was not just accidentally fabulous. It was truly amazing.

And I got free KFC to boot.

What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment