Monday 24 February 2014

I will always win.

Not in every battle.

But in regards to the battle of wills with Miss 4, I will always win.

Because I know how she works. She is me, some 36 years ago.

What she doesn't realise is that I have been there before. I know how she thinks.

And I'm better than her at it. Cos I've been doing it longer.

Tonight was not a great night.

The tears began because Miss 4 wanted to sit in the seat in which Miss 5 was sitting.

Miss 5 offered to move. I told her not to. Because in life you can't always get what you want, and you need to get used to that.

Kudos to Miss 5 for offering, but Miss 4 needs to know.

And then came the "I don't like this."

"Yes you do."

"No I don't."

"Fine. Don't eat it then. But that means no dessert."

Cue. Hysterical. Tears.

Dessert tonight was fruit salad. Watermelon, green and red grapes, and apple. So not over the top "treat" dessert, but dessert nonetheless.

Miss 4 was at the table for a very long time. During that time Master 3 and Miss 5 ate their dinner. It was what we call eggy pancakes. Egg, chopped vegies, chopped meat (chicken tonight), and a bit of flour, then fried in little pattie cake things. Yummo. Easy. Great way to use leftovers (which we did).

Every time the kids have them, it is a hit. Except tonight.

Long story short, Miss 5 and Master 3 ate their dinner. I then prepared their fruit salad for them and gave it to them, and they ate it.

All the while Miss 4 sat at the table in her seat telling me she didn't like her dinner.

My comment? "Fine. Don't eat it. But no dessert."

Bearing in mind dessert is actually fruit. But still.

They sat down for dinner at 5.40pm. Miss 4 finished at 7.03pm. And I made her her fruit salad.

And then we still had bath and reading to go.

But I tell you what. It was a learning experience for her tonight.

She learned that mum will not give in.

Ever.

Too. Bloody. Right.

Yes, the kids were late to bed. Yes, they will be tired tomorrow. No I do not care. Because tonight had to happen. The battle needed to be fought. And Miss 4 needed to see that I will never, EVER back down.

Moral of the story?

Stick. To. Your. Guns.

She ate all her dinner. And got her fruit salad.

And gave me a big hug and kiss goodnight.

Kids. The reason we have grey hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment