Wednesday 19 February 2014

I read an article

the other day.

It was something about bedtime and how kids just need you and all that jazz.

Well here's my 2 cents worth.

My days are long. Work days are long. Sometimes incredibly long. Not insofar as the actual time I am there, but the time that is mentally devoted to work even when I am not there, trying to work out the solution to a problem.

Some other days are long too. Days spent with children can be long. Can be enjoyable. Can be less than enjoyable. But can be long.

Now when I read one of those articles that says that kids shouldn't have a bedtime because they need you, well, um, yeah. Nah.

Kids should have a bedtime.

I should have a bedtime. I don't. Because of my kids. But that is an entirely different story.

But kids SHOULD have a bedtime. Why? Because if they don't mummy is going to go off her tree, that's why.

And everyone knows, happy mummy, happy kiddies.

Seriously though, all jokes aside, yes, I can understand that when kids are going to bed they may need you. But they may also be playing you.

Too many new age artsy fartsy bloggy doovy whatsit types spout the "your children are just wanting you" stuff. Yes. I know that. I know my kids want me. I know they want and need cuddles. That's fine.

But when they call out "Muuuuuuum" for the 17th time and I go in there and say, oh so sweetly, "yes my darling, what is it?" and they say "ummmmmmm", I'm sorry, but they are stalling. They are trying to hold off going to sleep for as long as physically possible.

"I need a drink."

"I want a hug" (I'm a sucker for that one because, well, there will come a time when they won't, so I do)

"I'm hungry". Seriously.

"I'm thirsty." See I need a drink.

"She's making me wake up." Said in reference to the child who is asleep in the bed beside her.

"I saw a bug."

"What was that sound?"

Seriously children. You don't understand. Sleep. Is. Good.

If I could go to sleep right now I would. But I don't. Why? Because I know that there is no point.

No point how? You don't understand???

I will spell it out for you, not in a condescending manner, but because you simply don't know. Unless you are my Facebook friend, in which case you would, because it was my status the other day. Night. Evening. Whenever.

Here is the status.

"Sitting here at 11.38pm. Some may wonder why I am still up.

Miss 4 visited (asleep) at 11.11pm. Master 3 visited at 11.35pm (asleep). I can hear Miss 5 now. In a couple of minutes I'll be "done" for the night. So there. You. Go."

And I was right.

See I know the habits of my babies. I know that, usually, 11.30pm brings something. I have no idea what. But always something. It might be a nightmare. It might be a child falling out of bed. It might be a random scream. But always something. Always.

So I stay up. Because I would much rather being awake late than being awoken from slumber at a random time. That being 11.30pm. So not so random. But still. You know what I mean.

I did have a point. No idea what it was.

But yes. I love my kids. I will cuddle them till the cows come home. But come bedtime, well, I think Noni Hazelhurst does a pretty good reading of a book.

That is all I will say for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment