Wednesday 11 September 2013

Today

I ceased to be a commuter. After 2.5 years of train travel from various locations to the CBD, I finished up working at my job in the city and next Monday I will commence my new role in a small suburban firm, a mere 4km from my home.

And I cannot even begin to express how excited I am about it.

For a start, I no longer will have to wake the kids in the morning to get them ready to go.

The kids can have breakfast at home instead of at daycare or before school care.

I no longer have to drop miss 5 off at before school care. I will be able to drop her at her classroom, every day. Which means I will get more of a chance to mingle with the other mums, and become more a part of the school community.

I no longer have to drive 10 minutes to the train station, see that there are no parkings spots, and then attempt to find a parking spot, do so, sometimes miles away, and then traipse from that parking spot to the train station.

I no longer have to rely upon public transport.

And life will no longer be rushed.

For after we have had a relaxed morning, I will drop the kids at school and daycare then drive the 4km to my new job. Parking is easy. There is a coffee shop nearby. All is good in the world.

I will miss a few things though. That, I think, is a given.

I will miss the people. My friends.

I will miss the huge variety of foodie establishments at which one can tempt the tastebuds at lunchtime.

I will miss the proximity to a zillion shops selling all manner of wares from shoes to books to random figurines and hair care products.

I will miss travelling on trams.

I will miss the random odd things you can only see in the city.

I will miss seeing people who don't know how to do hook turns attempt to do hook turns. And I will miss the mad tinging of the tram driver who attempts to avoid hitting said incompetent hook turner.

But suffice to say there are more pros than cons.

For some, the status is what it's all about. Me? No. I will still be a lawyer. I will still be carrying out the job I trained to do. But I will be doing so knowing that I am giving my family as much of me as I can, whilst allowing me to be me too - I am not solely "mum", but "me" too.

Sometimes you need to look at the big picture. Racing through life trying to get this and that and this and that will only see you flit past those things that mean the most of all.... the little ones are only little for such a short time.... If you aren't careful, you just might miss it......

I don't plan on missing any more than I have to. And now, well, I won't.

I cannot remember the last time I was quite this happy. And that in itself speaks volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment