Friday 13 September 2013

Three little words.....

That's all it takes. Three little words. Sufficient to express so very much. And I shall give you an example. Actually, no, I think I'll give you several....

"I'm still hungry."

This is the standard call of all three of my children after having eaten the equivalent of one arm of a buffet at Smorgy's. They eat more than I do. Tonight they powered through 2kg of chicken wings, half a cauliflower, half a head of broccoli and four massive carrots. And then wanted more. If they weren't completely off their heads I would be worried they simply couldn't metabolise that much. But, lucky for me, off their heads they are. Completely. Metabolism sorted.

"She hit me."

Just because these words are uttered does not mean that the incident described actually occurred. Case point in question - Master 2 comes running in to me saying "SHE HIT ME!" referring to Miss 4. What he didn't realise was that Miss 4 was, in fact, with me at the time. Ba bow. Not this time little man, not this time.

"It's not fair."

Oh yes. Children do still use that. I recall using that as a child actually. And when these words are uttered, I tend to explain that, contrary to the stated belief, it actually IS fair. And to even use that phrase in said context is technically incorrect, so in that regard, it is a moot point. And THAT always gets a few raised eyebrows.....

"I'm not tired."

Really? So the yawning is purely for show? And the attitude and squawky back answering is your normal personality? Fabulous. Of course you aren't tired. Now go to bed.

"It's my turn."

Said in regard to everything from getting the mail to picking a flower, from turning on the tv to putting on a sock. For some reason children seem to believe that in life, they will always get a turn. For everything. Today the kids took it in turns putting apples into the freezer bag at the supermarket. And when one broke pattern, well, let's just say I heard the words.

"I love you."

The traditional three little words. And when they are said to you by your little folks they melt your heart. When accompanied by a beautiful cuddle and kiss, it is enough to bring tears to your eyes. And when they have done something reeeeeally naughty, and you look at them for explanation, and they simply say those three little words, well, you have to give them credit for ingenuity.....

And last, but not least, for now, probably the three words that all parents can understand, and those without children just can't possibly.

I will give you the scenario. This morning, rushing around, trying to find shoes, failing, so settling for other shoes, doing hair, throwing spare clothes in bags, and getting lunches ready and generally rushing and bustling because somehow time got away from us and Miss 5 was all of a sudden in danger of being late for school.

And just as we are walking out the door, Master 2 stops, puts his hands on his knees, looks me in the eye and says "I'm doing poo."

Three. Little. Words.


No comments:

Post a Comment