Sunday 15 September 2013

How do I look?

This was the question I asked my children this morning. They were going to spend the day with their father and I was going for a leisurely day in the city.

The answer I received was one that I was not quite expecting. Actually, I would go so far as to say that I don't think any parent ever would have anticipated a response quite like that which I received.

Miss 4 was the one who answered. "You look like a giraffe."

And Miss 5 agreed. "Yes, you do, you look like a giraffe." *smiles and nods between the girls to indicate their agreement with the amazing statement they just made*

And in pipes Master 2. "Mummy, you're a giraffe."

Now, I do not actually think I did look like a giraffe. My outfit was black with some red on, but the sleeves are a kind of beige with a brownish red, say "rust", colour on them. Apparently this colour combination is what earned me the title of "giraffe".

And so I went and looked at myself in the full-length mirror, assessing the relative giraffity of my outfit, and wondering whether I did, in fact, look, at least in part, like a giraffe.

And I even contemplated changing. Did I look THAT ridiculous? Did I look THAT odd that the closest thing I resembled was a giraffe?

Well, I didn't change. But I daresay that every time I wear that outfit in the future I will think the same thing..... and will be mentally transported to the African savannah....

No comments:

Post a Comment