Monday 30 September 2013

So I'm 40 now.

When the hell did that happen?? I could have sworn that yesterday I was turning 30.

And what has changed in 10 years? Just a little...

3 kids. 3 magnificently wonderful, beautiful, infuriating, adorable, incessant, amazing little people that I made. All by myself. Well, ok, fine, not all by myself, but I raised them myself :) So I'm paying myself that one :)

A truckload of moves. And I can not stand them. But finally, now, as I hit my 40s, we have found ourself where we belong. And here we will stay. If not in this house, at least in this area. It is our home. Our community.

3 degrees. Well, 2 degrees and a graduate diploma. Close enough for jazz.

Complete change of career. As you do. Classical pianist and accompanist one decade, lawyer the next. Again, as you do.

And I like to think that I have grown. Aside from (mildly) in girth (which I blame upon copious amounts of KFC, bacon, red wine and gin over the decade) I have grown as a human.

I can't blame myself for the failings of others and now do not spend my spare time beating myself up in this regard.

I don't concern myself with what others think of me, except, of course, my babies. They are my compass as to the true state of play in our world, and they are all that matter.

I pretty well do what I want, within reason, because, well, you do only live once. You may as well actually live. What a sad state of affairs to spend all your time working towards the ultimate goal only to find that, 10 or 20 or 30 years down the track the posts have shifted and you have missed the goal, and missed all the experiences and joys along the way.

Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Eat the bacon.

If you feel like singing out loud along with the music in the supermarket, do it. People will look? So what. You never know, you may even just make someone's day by bringing a smile to their face. And on that note, smile at someone. And mean it. Like a yawn, it is contagious. I bet you just yawned....

Today was a special day. It really was. I adore how my kids all made me a special little card. And late this evening, after we had had dinner (KFC of course) and cake, and the kids were watching a bit of Play School, I sat down and sighed. I drew all my babies close to me and said "Thank you guys for making it such a special day."

And it was Miss 4 who spoke next.

"I can't hear the telly."

Love you too babies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment