Saturday 22 March 2014

I can't sleep.

It used to mean that I was having difficulty in falling asleep. Or I was thinking about things so my brain wouldn't shut off.

As a parent, it is a reality. I can't sleep. Because mini folks are upset, or need me. So I just. Can't. Sleep.

Not I am having trouble sleeping. Not I am thinking so that is holding me back. I simply am unable to sleep because my small ones need me.

They had a fabulous night. Birthday party. Trampolines. Running around.

And when one of the mothers said to me "Oh with all the bouncing they're doing they'll sleep all night!" I just knew it wasn't going to happen.

Dear parents everywhere.

As soon as you say to another parent that their child will sleep all night, said child instantly gets some kind of internal shock which realigns their being such that they will not, in fact, sleep all night.

You jinx them.

Never. Ever. EVER. Say to someone that their child will sleep all night now. Because odds are that is all it will take to make that very thing not happen.

Yes, it may be superstitious of me. I. Don't. Care.

I have been around long enough to know what does and doesn't work or make sense or happen or whatever.

Say it. It won't. In this respect.

I'm tired. I really am. Last night (not this one happening right now, even though technically I could be saying it about the night before this just most recent midnight, which I'm not, I mean the one before) Miss 4 ended up in bed with me again. And then Miss 5 came in at whatever time, asking if she could turn the tv on. I asked her to tell me what time it was. It was civil enough to be awake. Ish. Not really. But not horrific. So I said yes.

Telly went on. Miss 4 leapt out of my bed and into the lounge.

Finally. Peace. A little bit of sleep while they watch some of the idiot box.

Babow.

Wrong mummy. Very very wrong mummy.

My quest to get a half hour sleep in while the kids watched Lazy Town or another of those equally insane shows that makes you want to rip your eyeballs out was not successful, with all manner of child, be they 3, 4 or 5, coming in at varying intervals, on a semi-regular basis, alternating, to ensure that sleep was not something that I achieved.

I really want a sleep in. I really really do. Not a stay in bed while you hear the kids jumping around in the lounge and then have a child crawl over you and onto your head then laugh and say "I love you mummy" (which I actually loved even though it was early and I wanted sleep it was just so bloody cute).

Future parents must be warned about this sleep thing. The current warnings are insufficient.

Future parents beware. These children will steal your sleep. In whatever way they can. They will cry when they are babies. When they are toddlers they will teethe. Then they will get growing pains. All the while they may also get night terrors. Then they may suffer the effects of a parental breakup, which may not manifest til years later, at night. Obviously. They may crawl into your bed. They may punch you in their sleep. They may come into your room at 2am and profess that they wish to go outside and play. They may climb up your legs, rest their hands painfully on your chest and then vomit on you. They may come in to tell you they wet their bed. Or did a 'big poo'. They may decide that their mattress is too soft. They may decide that their sister is sleeping in your bed so they should too, and then the sister wakes up, and fights it out with the other sibling, over the top of your very weary body.

I had a point.

I have no idea what it is.

I should really go to bed.

Waiting……waiting……

Usually when I say that I hear a thud, or a cough, or a something.

Maybe I can go now….. bonus…. not even 1am……




No comments:

Post a Comment